Last Updated on
Herbal oils are used in magical and religious ceremonies since pre-history. Holy “anointing” oils have been used by Christian rituals and the rituals of those that came before. Back then, people lovingly prepared herbs and other plants to extract oil. Nowadays, companies sell synthetic oils which are designed to be similar to herbal oils with regards to color and texture. However, these synthetics are not as good as natural oils (if far less expensive). Not only are natural ingredients better as a general rule, it is often difficult to tell whether a synthetic oil truly contains herbal ingredients or simply chemicals designed to simulate them. By creating your oil blends yourself, you can ensure that everything that went into your magical blend is authentic.
The Power of Magical Oils
Like herbs and candles, magical oils can help to add power to a spell. Within the oils are small concentrations of potently blessed herbs and other plants, causing their essences to be a part of the oil, in a highly diluted or concentrated form, depending on the mixture.
- Tinctures, for example, tend to have fewer herbs and plants in the mixture, using alcohol as the base.
- Essential oils can be 100% pure oils or they can also be slightly diluted with other carrier oils.
- Massage oils and oils one might want to apply to the skin are diluted, using a carrier oil like grape seed or almond oil to prevent the concentrated oil from hurting the skin.
These oils hold energy and power from the plants from which they are derived. By harnessing this energy, the energy of the plants can then be used in spells to help put focus on the intention or on the outcome you desire. The more you can call attention to the intention, the more power a spell can have.
The Magical Properties of the Most Common Oils
- Amber – Love, Happiness.
- Bayberry – Prosperity, Protection, Control.
- Bergamot – Energy, Money, Happiness, Optimism.
- Carnation – Protection, Healing, Strength.
- Cedar – Purification, Healing, Hex Removal.
- Cinnamon – Money, Energy, Purification, Healing, Luck.
- Clove – Creativity, Healing, Aura Cleansing, Courage.
- Dragon’s Blood – Exorcism, Protection, Purification, Hex Removal.
- Eucalyptus – Healing, Purification.
- Frangipani – Love, Attracts true love.
- Frankincense – Protection, Purification, Spirituality.
- Gardenia – Harmony, Happiness, Healing, Love, Peace.
- Heliotrope – Protection, Attracts wealth.
- High John the Conqueror – Hex Removal, Protection, Strengthens mental abilities.
- Honeysuckle – Increases Psychic Abilities, Money.
- Jasmine – Psychic Dreams, Love, Sensuality, Money.
- Juniper – Protection.
- Lavender – Love, Healing.
- Lilac – Wards off Evil, Protection.
- Lotus – Protection, Purification, Spirituality.
- Magnolia – Balance.
- Musk – Sexual love, Attracts opposite Sex, Prosperity.
- Myrrh – Hex Removal, Protection, Healing, Psychic Development, Spirituality.
- Patchouli – Love, Purification, Lust, Prosperity.
- Peppermint – Money, Energy, Creativity.
- Pine – Purification, Protection, Strength.
- Rose – Love, fertility.
- Rosemary – Protection, Energy.
- Sage – Purification, Truth, Wisdom.
- Sandalwood – Cleansing, Spirituality.
- Vanilla – Sexual Love, Mental Power.
- Vetiver – Hex Removal, Love, Money.
- Violet – Love, Luck, Wisdom, Protection.
- Yarrow – Psychic abilities, Exorcism, Courage.
- Ylang-Ylang – Love, Harmony, Sexual Attraction.
Charging the Magic
Combine your herbal oils with incense to charge their magic. The magic sits in the herb blends in the oil, but requires your own energy to bring it forth. Magic, like the oils used within it, are a blend of carefully chosen ingredients. Cense your incense of myrrh or Benzoin with the oil to charge it before using it in spells. You can also use candles with oils to increase the potency of your ritual.
How Oils Can Be Used in Spell Work
There are a variety of ways how you can use magical oils in your rituals and magical workings. For many people, a magical oil is the perfect way to charge a candle for a specific spell. By anointing the candle with the correct oil, the oil will burn as the wax melts. This releases the energy of the oil into the universe, helping to attract the desired results of the spell. In addition oils can be used for anointing during a spell.
As Practitioners, spell casters and witches you might, for example, put oils on certain places of the body which require healing or you might use the oil to write words or Runes on the body if the spell calls for these actions. Others have used tinctures within drinks to help drink in the energy of the spell – therefore it is important to acquire your magical oils from a place that prides itself with quality oils that are not only potent but also safe for consumption.
Your Own Energy into Spells
Buying oils is the simplest way to have the magical oils on hand for spells, but you might also want to make your own oils by mixing different oils. This way, you can use the energies of several plants for a unique spell. In addition, the mixing of the oils is done with YOUR energy, so that adds to the power of the final potion as well. By simply diluting an essential oil with a carrier oil, you can dilute the power of a spell – especially if you’re not sure you’re ready for the outcome to arrive quickly. Again, this is an action with adds your own energy and also your intention into the spell – always a good thing to do.
With magical oils used in magic, you can create an intense experience as well as get the results you desire. The more energy you can bring into a spell or a magical working, the better. But it’s your energy that matters above all.
How Magical Herbal Oils are Created
You create herbal oils by steeping the right herbal blends in a suitable carrier oil. Different techniques result in oil blends of different strengths. This process can involve heating the carrier oil or letting the herbs relax in the bottle for several months. Repeating the procedure many times may be necessary, especially during the heating process. Once you have properly steeped the components strain out the herbal residue, or simply let it sit in the bottle. Different practitioner swear by different techniques for optimal. Choose the way that works best for you. Alternatively, you can also grind the herbs with a mortar and pestle before mixing them in the oil. This way you ensure that you do not waste any plant material.
The most commonly used carrier oils are olive oil, mineral oil, and sweet almond oil. You can use olive oil for rituals involved in positive energy, such as blessing the sick or attempting to channel positive energy to succeed at a task. For rituals designed to banish, command or destroy, you should rather use mineral oil.
These rituals can rid oneself of unwanted influences or mischievous spirits. Mineral oils have a synergy with other mineral compounds, such as magnetic oils and amber oils.
Finally, use sweet almond oil like almond oil for channeling positive energy. To make “lighter” cold-steeped oils use Sweet Almond Oil. You can anoint and wear light oils without irritating the skin. Heavy oils are better loaded into diffusers or burned within a candle.
The Herbs and Minerals suited for Magical Oils
Regarding the kinds of herbs and natural minerals used for magical oils, the right herb or blend of herbs changes the effect. Patchouli promotes fertility and abundance. Use it to bring fortune in a business that is based on the production of home-grown or handmade things (such as a restaurant). By contrast, use amber to attract luck, and anoint candles with it before risky business ventures. Blending the two oils results in a magical blend that attracts wealth and fortune in all areas. For mental and spiritual development anoint yourself with Wisteria every day to increase your powers of perception. Use Vanilla to encourage feelings of lust and love, whether in yourself or in spells you are casting on another.
To bolster your own will or to remove unwanted influences use Lotus oil. Healing spells also use lotus leaves and petals within their rituals.
How to Make the Most Common Oil Blends
To make the following oil blends, you will need to add the ingredients to a base of spring water or oil. Put all the ingredients in a jar with a tight lid, mix well and store away in a dark spot for 3 days. If you are making the oil blends for a specific cause or intent, make sure to visualize your intent while preparing the oil blend. After the three days steep the ingredients into a dark glass bottle. Your oil blend is now ready to use.
What you will need to make Oil Blends
- Carrier Oil such as olive oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, apricot kernel oil, or jojoba oil.
- Sterilized glass jar with a lid
- Essential Oils
- Dark glass bottle to store you oil in
- Optional: Spring Water for Altar Oil
- Optional: Glass Dropper or pipette for using the oil blends in your rituals
- 0.25 cups of Spring Water
- 3 drops of Sandalwood Oil
- 3 drops of Citronella Oil
- 2 drops of Rue Oil
- 1 drop of Fir Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Thyme
- 1/4 tbsp Vervain
- 1/4 tbsp Rue
- 1/4 cup of Jojoba Oil or any other carrier oil
- 5 drops of Rue Oil
- 3 drops of Benzoin Oil
- 2 drops of Lavender Oil
- 1 drops of Fir OIl
- 2 tbsp Rosemary
- 1 tbsp Basil
- 1 tbsp Mugwort
- 2 tbsp Valerian
- 1/4 cup Olive oil or Jojoba oil
- 3 drops Rose Oil
- 3 drops of Acacia Oil
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 drop of Benzoin Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Basil
- 1/4 tbsp Rosemary
- 1/4 cup of Sunflower Oil or another carrier oil
- 3 drops of Frankincense
- 2 drops of Rue Oil
- 2 drops of Sandalwood Oil
- 1 drop of Myrrh
- 1 drop of Fir Oil
- 2 tbsp Fennel
- 1 tbsp Tansy
- 1/4 cup of Olive oil or any other carrier oil
- 4 drops of Vetiver Oil
- 3 drops of Rose Oil
- 3 drops of Juniper Berry Oil
- 1 tbsp Lavender
- 1/2 tbsp Rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp Mugwort
Astral Projection Oil
- 1/4 cup Carrier oil
- 4 drops Rue Oil
- 3 drops Benzoin Oil
- 2 drops Acacia Oil
- 1 drop Sandalwood Oil
- 2 tbsp Mugwort
- 1 tbsp Jasmin
- 1 tbsp Woodruff
- 0.5 tbs Cinquefoil